Play List


Friday, July 25, 2008

Ahhhh, teaching....

I decided to go to school yesterday to take a look at my classroom. It's weird, but in order for me to set up my class, I have to visualize the space. I am one of those teachers that likes to change the room every year. I can't stand looking at the same stuff in the same place, year after year. Most of that has been taken care of this year, since I changed buildings. (I moved from one portable to another). When I left in June, the room was in quite a state. Not only did I have my stuff (and trust me, it was a LOT of stuff), but Sally had her stuff in there, too. 2 teachers occupying a small space must violate several time-space continuums. I didn't bother to really set up the room because I knew that the floors were going to be waxed and anything I did would be destroyed anyway. (I learned that lesson my 1st year. All my stuff was in the middle of the room, in a huge pile). When I walked in, I was expecting a mess. Boy, was I correct on that assumption. So, for those of you out there that think teachers just slack off during the summer, think again! Here is what I have to deal with ~

Ugh! tables and chairs stacked on more tables and chairs. There was even furniture shoved inside the teeny-tiny closet. And, I am supposed to fit 11 middle-schoolers in this room and try to teach them! Right now, they will sit on the roof, I suppose. I am glad I went in early, because this mess will take longer than 3 days to sort through, clean, and arrange. Did I mention that there are 11 computers to hook up? What was I thinking? I mean, it will be pretty cool that each student will have their own computer to access, but what a giant pain. Sheesh. But, I have my vision and this mess will actually look like a classroom when I am finished.

On the positive side, the floor is shiny!


No comments: